[Tutor] Deleting recursive folder definition

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 22:32:12 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk> wrote:
> I've managed to do something incredibly stupid on my XP box.
> I've created a folder that is a link to itself - at least I think that's
> what has
> happened, it was a CASE tool that I was using that actually did the damage.

Try exploring the options in fsutil.exe.  Some (untested!) suggestions:

fsutil.exe reparsepoint query <filename>
fsutil.exe reparsepoint delete <filename>

If that doesn't do the job, you probably need to figure out *exactly*
what type of NTFS object you're dealing with.  Some search terms that
might get you started:

NTFS plus one of:
hard link
soft link
reparse point
junction point

There are tools out there that make dealing with some of the more
exotic NTFS file-like objects easier, but I'm not too familiar with
them.  You'll probably need to explore some, and probably learn more
about NTFS than you ever wanted to know :)

--
Jerry