[Tutor] Reply All Dilemma of This List

Brian Mathis brian.mathis at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:20:51 CET 2009

You've stepped on a religious-war landmine.  You can read all about
why this is bad here:
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html ("Reply-To" Munging
Considered Harmful)
and why it's good here:
http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml (Reply-To Munging
Considered Useful)

This war has been raging since the dawn of mailing lists, and you're
not likely to get a resolution now either.

To me, the context of a mailing list warrants the use of Reply-All to
the list, since a mailing list is typically meant to be a group
discussion.  In this configuration, it takes extra effort to reply
privately, which is exactly the sort of thing you'd want to promote in
a group discussion.