[Tutor] IDLE vs PythonWin

ALAN GAULD alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 10 01:31:56 CET 2009

> Yes, but how do you debug the code interactively when you have
> the
editor outside pythonwin? Do you copy it into the pythonwin editor?

Do you mean using the Python debugger?
If I need to do that I will either use the command line debugger (pdb)
inside the shell window or close the vim session and start pythonwin
(or Eclipse which has a really good debugger!) But in 10 years of using
Python I've only resorted to the debugger maybe a dozen times in total.
Usually a few print statements and a session with the >>> prompt is
adequate to find any bugs. The best debugging tools are your eyes!

Remember too that you can always import the module into the shell
window if you need to test specific functions in isolation.

Alan G.

ALAN GAULD wrote:
The point wasn't about vim per se - that just
happens to be my favourite editor - but really
about the way of working with 3 separate windows.

Really it was just to show that you don't necessarily
need to use an all-in-one IDE like Pythonwin or IDLE,