[Tutor] Fixing "nearly ASCII" data file?

John Krukoff jkrukoff at ltgc.com
Tue Aug 11 00:56:26 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 15:34 -0700, Allen Fowler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some CSV data from Office / OpenOffice in "nearly ASCII" format.  This is just basic text but it it stored as UTF-8, and has curly quotes, etc.
>
> Is there a way to easily read the file as ASCII by forcing these to the standard ASCII equivalents?
>
> Thank you

I found this library "ASCII, Dammit", from the author of Beautiful Soup,
to be a good starting point when I had to write my own force to ASCII
conversion routine, maybe it'll work for you too:

http://www.crummy.com/cgi-bin/msm/map.cgi/ASCII%2C+Dammit

--
John Krukoff <jkrukoff at ltgc.com>
Land Title Guarantee Company