[Tutor] Tkinter and Antialiasing

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 13 02:19:09 CEST 2009

I can probably get around it in this case. What I was attempting to do
is draw radial lines out from a center. Each maybe 15 degrees apart.
Basically compass style. With the jaggies it looks a bit odd; however, I
can probably do this with a graphics tool, and then superimpose it on
the image I planned to use it for. Extra work, but it should do the
trick. Then again I can probably draw the radial lines from near the
perimeter to have it look more like a compass, and that'll probably look
satisfactory. Each line being maybe 10-20 pixels. I tried PILs similar
draw methods with the same results. Tkinter probably uses them anyway.
Maybe there's hope when the new PIL is released.

Alan Gauld wrote:

> "Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net> wrote
>
>> If I draw a fairly slanted line across an image using Tkinter, it
>> looks a bit jagged. Is this typical of Tkinter graphics, or is there
>> an option or mechanism that will antialias?
>
> I think that is a feature of the canvas and its underlying code.
> I can't see any anti-aliasing features although you can of course
> render it as a smooth line, and mess around with the splines settings,
> but I don't think that will help in this case if it's a single
> straight line.
>
> This might be an area where OpenGL or another toolkit might help.
> If its part of a graphic then generating the graphic as an image and
>
> HTH,

           All the neutrons, and protons in the human body occupy
           a cube whose is 5.52*10**-6 meters. That adds up to a
           150 pound person. It's not a surprise that we are mostly
           space. (Calculation by WTW)