[Tutor] PYTHON 26 DOESN'T MATCH TUTORIAL

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Sun Oct 5 20:45:58 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 3:44 AM, WM <WFERGUSON1 at socal.rr.com> wrote:
> I am trying to learn PYTHON from scratch using two screens; the tutor and
> IDLE.  The first two lessons went OK but the third (IF and ELSE IF) just do
> not work.  When I try ELSE I get >>> without any further indent.  When I did
> COPY and PASTE I got showered with incomprehensible error messages.  I did
> this because I wondered if I were screwing up with my keyboarding.

Can you copy / paste the IDLE session to an email?

My guess is that you entered an extra line before the else. You should
just backspace to remove the indent.

> Is this what you do?  Answer about beginners' problems?  I just subscribed
> to the list; this is my first query.

Yes, pretty much. You should send your question to tutor at python.org,
though. tutor-owner just goes to  the list maintainers, not to the
entire list. When you reply, use Reply All so your reply also goes to
the list.

Kent