[Tutor] Writing a script to interact with an interactive commandprogram

Demonic Software demonic.software at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 02:55:41 CEST 2008

Alan,

I have been working with the Popen class, and it hangs when I perform the
read on the stdout socket.  I am not sure how to read from the file object
after I perform the write into the process.  When I use "communicate" it
closes the PIPE and terminates the process.  Below are some configurations I
tried.

#  using the Popen.communicate API
k = Popen("/bin/bash", shell=True, bufsize=1024, stdin=PIPE, stdout=PIPE,
close_fds=True)
(stdout, stderr) = k.communicate("ls -all\n")
print stdout
<directory listing>

#  Trying to read k.stdout directly
k = Popen("/bin/bash", shell=True, bufsize=1024, stdin=PIPE, stdout=PIPE,
close_fds=True)
k.stdin.write("ls -all\n")
k.stdout.read()
<hangs here>