[Tutor] Newbie

jar_head at fuse.net jar_head at fuse.net
Fri Jul 25 06:13:13 CEST 2008

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:47:32 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Sam Last Name <the_sam_smart at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [Tutor]  Newbie
> To: tutor at python.org
>
> mmmkay its me again
> Iv'e been learning alot and have found so much joy in making programs that solve equations using the input function.
> I need Help on this though.
> Im trying to make a program where it solves the quadratic formula when you put in the variables.
> Here wats i got so far. :) and also, is there a function for square root?
>
> a  =  input("What is the variable a?")
> b  =  input("What is the variable b?")
> c  =  input("What is the variable c?")
> # this is where i need help :(
> print -b + /sqrt (b*b - 4*a*c)/(2*a)
> # this of course doesn't work i believe because i don't have the square root function and don know how to make one
>
> Feedback appreciated :)

You're going to need to use your parenthesis differently.  You might have a problem with the grouping if you leave it as it is.  It'd be better written as this:

print (-b + /sqrt ((b*b) - (4*a*c))/(2*a))

I don't know the function for square root either, but I'm sure one of the others will answer that for you.

-Jay