[Tutor] Launching default web browsers.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 12 09:54:20 CEST 2008

"ammar azif" <ceasar102 at yahoo.com> wrote

> I am going to develop an application that will launch the
> user's computer default web browser pointing to a URL.
>  How to do this in python and which library should I use?

Look at the webbrowser module, it is intended to do just that.

> Also, my development platform is Linux but the application
> is targeted to run in Windows platform. Is there any major
> platform dependent barriers that I will face?

There will almost inevitably be some issues but a lot will
depend on the browsers in use as well. If everyone is using
Firefox or IE then its likely to work fairly well, but if there
is a big mix of browsers I suspect you might have some
headaches.

I suggest you try a very simple script initially and see how
well it works with your users.

Alan G