[Tutor] Tread or threading

Michael Bernhard Arp Sørensen murderbystealth at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 14:53:16 CET 2008

Hi there.

I've been reading in books and homepages about threads. Apparently,
"threading" is better than "thread", right?

I've been trying to write a simple proof of concept code using "treading"
inside a class. It was easely done with "thread", but it was a lot harder
with "threading". I want to be able to write a program like this:

class myapp():
  def __init__(self):
    self.queue = queue.Queue()
    self.lock = threading.Lock()

  def inputthread(self):
    data = get_user_input()
    self.lock.aquire()
    self.queue.put(data)
    self.lock.notifyall()
    self.lock.release()

  def outputthread(self):
    self.lock.aquire()
    data = self.queue.get()
    self.lock.notifyall()
    self.lock.release()
    print data

  def main(self):
    start_inputthread()
    start_outputthread()
    wait_for_both_threads_to_end()

app = myapp()
app.main()

All the examples I've seen was done by creating a class as a subclass of
threading.Thread. Isn't there a way to make individual methods a thread like
we do with the simpler "thread" module, but by using threading? Otherwise
would it mean that I should write each method as a threading class.

It doesn't make sense yet. Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards

Michael B. Arp Sørensen
Programmør / BOFH

I am /root and if you see me laughing you better have a backup.