[Tutor] Python proxy settings in OS X

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 04:40:25 CEST 2008

I'm having trouble with OS X proxy settings and getting Python to
ignore them.  I have multiple Python installations on my system:
/opt/local/bin/python (2.5.1)
/usr/local/bin/2.3
/opt/local/bin/2.4
/usr/bin/python244 (2.4.4)
/opt/local/bin/2.5

I've noticed that when using some of these versions, my scripts that
make web calls work fine, but the same scripts die with timeouts using
other versions.  I thought Python simply read and respected 'env'
settings, but clearing these in my session doesn't seem to help.

As a result, I have even tried to remove my proxy settings entirely,
but that is another, off-topic story [1].

Where all these installations came from, I'm not entirely sure.  I
know I had to install a copy of 2.4, and I must have used 'ports' for
some version.  At some point, I would like to clean these up and have
only one copy of each version installed, but I'm not sure which
versions would screw things up if they were to be removed.

Thanks for your help in understanding Python and proxy settings, and
how to fix settings if possible.

Thank you,
~John

[1] http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=93086