[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 54, Issue 64

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:15:31 CEST 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:33:28 +0200
> From: "Robert Johansson" <robert.johansson at math.umu.se>
> Subject: [Tutor] unsupported characters
> To: <Tutor at python.org>
>
> Hi, I have problems using characters from the Swedish language. I
> tried the
> following in IDLE under MacOS X leopard (running Python 2.5.1)  :
>

> S=???
>

> Displaying error message: ?unsupported characters in input?.

This is because Python 2, by default, assumed ASCII encoding for its
source codes (Python 3, by default, assumed utf-8, I think). You can
change the default encoding by adding this "magic comment":

# coding=<encoding name>

or:

# -*- coding: <encoding name> -*-

or:

# vim: set fileencoding=<encoding name> :

to the first or second line of your source code (usually the <encoding
name> would be utf-8, but it can be any encoding supported by python).
The encoding declaration may be in the first or second line to allow its
usage together with pound-bang comment.

read: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/