[Tutor] problem resulting from installing 3.0

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 1 10:08:53 CEST 2007

"Dick Moores" <rdm at rcblue.com> wrote

> > > And another question is, exactly what should go into PYTHONPATH?
>
> >Its what goes into sys.path.
>
> >In other words its where your local modules are stored.
> >Much more flexible. I'm a big fan of environment variables!
>
> I don't think I follow you, Alan. I thought I was
> using environment variables.

You are, but you asked about what should go in PYTHONPATH

I was pointing out the advantages of using PYHONPATH over
just putting a path file into your installation, which is another
way of telling Python where too look. I wasn't suggesting that
you weren't doing it, merely affirming that its a good idea.

> There are subfolders with local modules in
> E:\PythonWork\. Do I have to list them too?

Thats exactly what should be in there.

> modules such as datetime.py, and random.py-are not local?

These would more typically be installed in the site-packages
folder within your installation since they are not your own scripts.
But if you chodse to store them outside the Python folders then
yes you could point to  their folders too.

HTH,

Alan G