[Tutor] monitor other running applications with Python?

Che M pine508 at hotmail.com
Sun May 27 02:29:22 CEST 2007

Hi, searched a bit for this but haven't found much.  Is it possible to use
Python to monitor the use of other applications? (anything...Word, Excel,
browsers, etc.)

At minimum, I wan't to know that the application was running, but even
better would be some sense of the use or content, such as whether the app
was idle or the user was using it, or, for a web browser, what URLs were
visited and for how long, etc.  Ideally I'd like a cross-platforms approach
but expect that might be hard.  I know utilities like this are out there,
but I have no sense how to go about this in Python, or how difficult it
might be.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Che