[Tutor] How do you install EGG files (was: storm anyone?

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Thu Jul 12 02:47:49 CEST 2007

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, shawn bright wrote:

> Hey there all,
> i got the news that storm was released as open source. Storm is a db orm for
> python.
> i have a downloaded package and i would like to play with it, but it does
> not come with any install instructions.
> i found the package here https://storm.canonical.com/FrontPage
> there is a makefile in the top level folder, so should i use gcc and try to
> 'make'  'make install' or is that not necessarily the way to go here?

Yeah, the docs at https://storm.canonical.com/Install leave a little bit
to be desired.

I see it comes in an EGG format, which is just a ZIP file.   What will (I
think) work is to open the EGG file with your favorite unzipper and unzip
into your site-packages directory (making sure to use the directory names
from the EGG file).

Just for the heck of it, I tried this out.  Before the unzipping:

>>> import storm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named storm

Then I unzipped as described above:

>>> import storm
>>> dir(storm)
['Undef', 'UndefType', '__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__',
'__path__']
>>> print storm.__doc__
None
>>> print storm.__path__
['C:\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\storm']

So that seems to work.

But the larger question is, "What do I do with an EGG file?"  I know
there's a more straightforward way of having Python process an EGG file,
just as Java processes a JAR file.  I've just never had to learn it.

I'm retitling this thread in the hopes that someone who knows will assist;
then I'll learn something, too.