[Tutor] Key Error

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Jul 8 23:41:05 CEST 2007

Sara Johnson wrote:
> On how the 'h' was created....
>
> Well, it appears 'h' is referenced in a few spots in this code.  It
> looks like initially, at least, a dictionary 'h' is created and some h
> keys and sub keys follow, obviously from the purpose of this project
> (having to do with pickling), h is assigned:
>
> h=cPickle.load(inf)
>
> Is this because of the sub keys that follow?
This means that some (same or other) program created h, "pickled" it and
most likely wrote it to a file. So that program is failing in some way
to create the correct keys for the dictionaries that comprise the values
of h.
> Could this be why I'm not able to create 'NEWI'?
Again note you are not trying to create anything.  newi=h[key]['NEWI']
is attempting to reference an existing key, and the key does not exist.

> Sorry if I'm missing something or not answering your question, I'm
> highly confused!
Of course you are. Going into a totally new realm with just C under your
belt. If you'd like, give me a call. We might be able to cover more
ground faster on the phone.

--
Bob Gailer
510-978-4454 Oakland, CA