[Tutor] Python re without string consumption

Jacob Abraham jakieabraham at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 09:16:25 CET 2007

Hi Danny Yoo,

   I would like to thank you for the solution and
the helper funtion that I have written is as follows. But I do hope
that future versions of Python include a regular expression syntax to
handle such cases simply because this method seems very process and
memory intensive. I also notice that fall_back_len is a very crude
solution.

def searchall(expr, text, fall_back_len=0):
    while True:
        match =  re.search(expr, text)
        if not match:
            break
        yield match
        end = match.end()
        text = text[end-fall_back_len:]

for match in searchall("abca", "abcabcabca", 1):
   print match.group()

Thanks Again.

Jacob Abraham