[Tutor] Perfect Python web stack?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 19 00:59:50 CET 2007

"OkaMthembo" <zebra05 at gmail.com> wrote

> Please help me to decide. I might have asked some
> of you before, so please bear with me.
>
> I want to build a database driven python web app
> and i need to decide, so please vote on the best
> components

"Best" will depend on many things. For the database itself that
would be including things like:
1) How busy the site will be - transaction volumes
2) Your past experience
3) Your development environment
4) The sophistication of your queries
5) The variety of your data types
6) Your need for other access to the database
    - eg MIS reporting packages, backup facilities,
      client-server access etc

> 1) MySQL vs PostGRES

Postgres gets better write ups from database afficianados
but MySql has a big following. Personally I use either sqlite
for small jobs or Interbase (aka FireBird as freeware) for more
complex jobs.

> 2) Lighttpd + FastCGI vs Apache + mod_python

No experience of any of these. Lighttpd looks interesting
though.

> 3) Pylons + Cheetah + Kid/Mochikit/Dojo vs Django/Turbogears

Don't know Pylons but Cheetah/Kid/Mochikit are all part
of TurboGears which i am using and so far finding quite
easy and intuitive. I chose TurboGears over Django primarily
because I like its modular "best of breed" approach and
on my initial look I preferred the style of the Kid templates
to the Django ones...

No expert, but HTH,

--
Alan Gauld