[Tutor] stumped again adding bytes

shawn bright nephish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 22:45:16 CET 2007

Thanks for your help, Luke.
i am trying to get a grasp on how all this works, which is the msb, lsb, etc..

if i use i bitmask of 240 it will mask the most significant 4 bits
so that only the most significant 4 bits remain..
like 53 & 240 = 48 ( because only the 32 and 16 are set)
and if i use 15 it should mask the least significant bits, right ?

now if i am using the first half of the 2nd byte, and making the first
byte the most significant.
i would shift the first byte to the Left by 4
byte1 << 4  then add ( byte2 & 240 )

so for the next number that i want that will consist of the 2nd half
of the 2nd byte as the most significant , i would take the second byte
with my bitmask then shift it right by 4 then add the third byte to
that .... am i getting this right
like x = ((byte2 & 240) << 4) + byte 3

i think ?

shawn