[Tutor] MSI Installers for python

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Mon Feb 12 01:15:23 CET 2007

demonic.software at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can offer any examples, pointers, tutorials,
> or howtos  on developing an MSI installer file for windows using Python.
>   I found the msilib reference in the Python 2.5 documents, but I am not
> familiar with this area and I am trying find any examples (code wise)
> that implement the msilib.  I did check Google, but there did not seem
> to be any good leads.  Thanks in advance,

Are you trying to create an MSI installer of a Python program or
something else?

The docs for msilib indicate that it supports creation of MSI files for
Python programs with the bdist_msi command in distutils. bdist_msi seems
to be included with Python 2.5, it is in
lib/distutils/command/bdist_msi, but it doesn't seem to be documented in
the distutils docs. Here is a little bit about it:
http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/home/loewis/bdist_msi/

General information about using distutils is here:
http://docs.python.org/dist/dist.html

I have never used distutils myself (other than to install stuff) so I
probably can't give you much more help than this.

Kent