[Tutor] best book?

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Tue Feb 6 03:49:09 CET 2007

Andrew Purdea wrote:
> Hi! what do you guys think that would be the best free book, or tutorial
> or something to start learning python?
> Something that can also focus on important differences from other
> languages, and present why some choices made in the design are better
> then others. Not just present the information, but also make it easyer
> to understand it ;-)
> I have previous programming knowledge (Pascal/Delphi, C, Java, Assembler)

The official tutorial that comes with Python is a good quick intro for
programmers. Dive Into Python is available on-line and has much more
depth. Those and other good resources are listed here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

The Python Cookbook is a good place to learn idiomatic Python. There is
an on-line version here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

You can also hang out on this list or comp.lang.python, that might be
the best way to get a sense for what makes Python different.

Kent