[Tutor] python CLI parser

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 11:51:57 CET 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 2:11 AM, Simone <simozack at yahoo.it> wrote:

> bob gailer ha scritto:
>
> >> could you have a short review of my CLI package.
> > .bz2???  What does that extension mean? (For us Windows folk). Or could
> > you attach a simple zip file?
>
> .bz2 is an archive compressed with the bzip2 compression program. If
> you're on Windows, consider to use 7zip for managing compressed archive
> (www.7zip.org): open source & free (as in freedom) and better, IMHO,
> than WinZip.

Way, way better!  It can read the following types: arj, bz2, cab, cpio, deb,
gz, iso, lzh, rar, rpm, tar, z, zip, 7z, and 001; it writes 7z, tar, and
zip.
(7z is 7-zip's own format - very tight, very fast compression.  001 is
usually the first part of a multi-part ZIP or RAR file.  ISO is a CD or DVD
image; CAB is a Microsoft cabinet file; DEB and RPM are Linux package files,
and the others are formats we Windows users need to be able to read in order
to become citizens of the world...)

It does self-extracting EXE files "right out of the box" - no extra install,
no "Upgrade to the Professional version to remove this irritating message".
If you're a batch-file maniac like me, it also includes a command-line
interface - again, that's a paid extra with WinZip (or at least it used to
be; I switched to WinRAR years ago and then switched to 7-Zip after a friend
turned me on to it.)  I must admit, the command-line syntax is less
intuitive than WinZip's, but the manual is good.

It's fast and has a spiffy interface and good right-click integration with
Windows Explorer.  It slices!  It dices!  It removes unsightly stains!

Not a paid endorsement - just a happy user.   Sorry to be off-topic, I know
this didn't really belong in the Tutor list...

--
www.fsrtechnologies.com