[Tutor] ipython / readline problem

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 13 23:40:18 CET 2007

"Tiago Saboga" <tiagosaboga at terra.com.br> wrote
> But in general, in the python libraries, I thought it would be safe
> assume that one can equally send a string or a unicode object, and
> that otherwise there would be a warning in the docs. Is this
> assumption plain wrong, is this info really missing in the docs, or
> it's just me that have missed it?

In general I think you can, the readline stuff is an IPython feature I
think.
But I don't really know since I don't have IPython to compare with and
don't use unicode hardly ever.

But I think Python itself is pretty safe with unicode v ascii in most
cases.
I'm sure Kent will be able to comment further, he seems to have made
himself an expert in this area! (and I'm sure glad somebody has! :-)

Alan G.