[Tutor] Class Attribute "Overloading?"

Vincent Gulinao vincent.gulinao at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:20:15 CEST 2007

Sorry, I just started experimenting on Python classes...

Is there any way a reference to a class attribute ([class].[attribute]) be
treated like a method ([class].[method]())?

I have a class with DB component. Some of its attributes are derived from DB
and I find it impractical to derive all at once upon __init__.

Of course we can use dictionary-like syntax ([class]["[attribute]"]) and use
__getitem__, checking for existence and None of the attribute before
deriving the value from the DB. But I think [class].[attribute] is more
conventional (Is it?). Or someone suggest a more Pythonic way.