[Tutor] Which GUI?

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Thu Aug 2 18:07:26 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, scott wrote:

> I was thinking about finding a copy of that book, so maybe starting
> WxPython would be easier then and not worry about Tkinter.  Is "WxPython
> in Action" a very good book?

I can say that it's the best book on wxPython that I'm aware of.  Of
course, it's the only book on wxPython that I'm aware of.

Actually, I like it a lot.  It's usually clear, and gets you going
step-by-step.

Because this is the only available wxPython book, I probably want too
much.  What I really would have liked is a reference-like chapter, at
least listing out all the controls, maybe categorized by type, with a
graphic showing what each looks like.  I would gladly have swapped Chapter
4 (which talks about PyCrust, a cool-looking Python shell that comes with
wxPython, but is not needed to use the GUI) for that.

It's more important with wxPython than many other things, because much of
wxPython documentation is not wxPython documentation, per se, as it is
wxWidgets documentation, expressed in C++ rather than Python.

I'm an avid user of my local public library, and if you're not sure you
want to shell out the bucks for it (and assuming you're in the US), I'd
suggest you do what I did: try to borrow a copy through your library.  My
library did not have it, but could get it for me on inter-library loan
from another local library.  http://www.worldcat.org/ shows that there are
121 library copies in the U.S., so give it a shot.