[Tutor] scope/namespaces

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 24 19:27:37 CEST 2007

> Ezra Taylor wrote:
>>                     How can we limit this functionality so that
>> python
>> behaves similar to other know languages.

There are many other languages that work like Python.
Including the original versions of C and C++...

And other languages that don't have explicit loop constructs
at all! Others only have while loops...

> Maybe I should be asking what
> are the benifits of allow variables not being bound to a block of
> code.

For one thing you can find out how far a loop got to if it was
exited via a break.

for n in range(25):
    if doit(item[n]) == False: break

print 'The loop stopped at item', n

There are lots of things that languages do differently, otherwise
there would be no point in having different languages! Embrace
the differences as an opportunity to see things differently. ;-)

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site