[Tutor] Java: (and python ?) nearer measles than coffee

Jonathon Sisson sisson.j at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 17:40:34 CEST 2006

Hrmmm...my opinion is that you shouldn't waste your time with Java
(sorry to any Java coders on this list).  It's entirely too automated
for my tastes (automatic garbage collection, transparent pointers,
etc...).  To quote an unknown author who was quite the anti-OOP
programmer, "it made me want to throw a java.f***ThisException".

So why, might you ask, am I bothering learning Python?

Well, at first I was looking for a powerful scripting language to
prototype with.  You know the routine...whip up a quick and dirty
"version 0.1" and let the customer see what's in store, test layouts,
algorithms, design ideas, etc...

Reason I use Python #1:
But then I noticed something.  Python runs on my wife's Windows
machine...and my Linux machine...and my OpenBSD machine...and <insert
your favorite operating system here>...etc...  The real catch for me was
OpenBSD support.  Find a thorough java runtime for OpenBSD (I last
looked probably a year or two ago, so correct me if I'm wrong on this),
and perhaps I'll try it out, but until then, Python is my choice when I
need code that will run on multiple OS's.

Reason I use Python #2:
I'm not trying to flatter anyone, seriously, I'm not...but this list is
another reason Python has been a favorite of mine.

Reason I use Python #3:
I am a strong advocate of Open Source Software and the GPL.  If Sun
truly supported Open Source, then the OpenBSD team would have the specs
for Java.

Reason I use Python #4:
If I want to code something in Java, give me a week.  For Python, give
me one night, perhaps two.  I prefer getting done so I can move on, ya know?

Anyways, those are the first few reasons I use Python.

Jonathon