[Tutor] cgi form field and popup window

Kent Johnson kent37 at tds.net
Thu Oct 26 13:46:14 CEST 2006

paulino1 at sapo.pt wrote:
> I would like to have a popup window to show the possible options to a form field
> (supplier ID) and that by clicking on the desired item, the field is
> automatically filled. The options are a database field values.
>
> I wonder if this is possible to do with python (point me some resources please),
> or have I to deal with javascript ?

The browser-side programming has to be in javascript. The server-side
program that sends the javascript and the list of options to the browser
can be in Python.

You might want to look at the TurboGears widget set which provides many
browser-side widgets that are configured from Python. Widgets are part
of TG 1.0. Unfortunately the docs seem to be a bit thin and sorting it
all out is probably not a beginner project.
http://www.turbogears.org/
http://tgwidgets.toscat.net/

Kent