[Tutor] What after Learning Python 2nd

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 10 01:07:09 CEST 2006

>  Hi I have finished Learning Python 2nd ed.
>  What to do next?

Write code.
Lots of code.
Think of a project that will need more than a single file
so you get practice with modules.
Think of a project that can use OOP to practice with objects.
Do some text processing, or write a web client to try out
regular expressions or HTML parsing.

In other words get some experience under your belt
before worrying about advanced coding features etc.

>  Should I go with Programming Python book or
> Python Cookbook

Two very different books!
Personally I would go for Programming Python because I've
never been a fan of cookbook type books. They tend to
encourage cut n' paste style reuse where you don't necessarily
understand the why. I prefer the wider coverage of PP with
lots of "real code". But its a very personal choice, one of
my colleaguers loves cookbooks and has one for each of
the different languages we use.

I do recommend a reference book too, like the Beasley or
Martelli books

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site