[Tutor] partial string matching in list comprehension?

doug shawhan doug.shawhan at gmail.com
Thu May 25 21:34:24 CEST 2006

I have a series of lists to compare with a list of exclusionary terms.

junkList =["interchange",  "ifferen", "thru"]

The comparison lists have one or more elements, which may or may not contain
the junkList elements somewhere within:

l = ["My skull hurts", "Drive the thruway", "Interchangability is not my
forte"]

... output would be

["My skull hurts"]

I have used list comprehension to match complete elements, how can I do a
partial match?

def removeJunk(reply, junkList):
        return [x for x in reply if x not in junkList]

It would be so much prettier than searching through each list element for
each term - I tend to get lost in a maze of twisty corridors, all alike.

Thanks!