[Tutor] windows help system

Kermit Rose kermit at polaris.net
Fri Mar 3 13:07:08 CET 2006

>> You can do this by setting an environment variable named PYTHONSTARTUP to
>> name of a file containing your start-up commands
>
> How do I set environmental variables in Windows?

If it's Windows 9x/Me use AUTOEXEC.BAT.

SET PTYTHONSTARTUP C:\mypath\myfile.py

If its Windows NT/2000/XP
right click My Computer,
select Properties,
select Advanced tab
click Environment Variables.
click New

Hopefully self explanatory after that.

In either environment searching for envoironment variable in
the windows help system gives the answer... The Windows
help files are a greatly under used feature of the OS...IMHO

Alan G.

Hello Alan!

Thanks.

I found the windows help and support center.   It's not obvious how to use
it.  Could not find an index search box.

I finally did find the windows web newsgroup, and found where someone posted
a question about
environmental variables, in which he just happened to list the same
information you did about
environment variable.
Environmental variable is not in the windows help glossary.

Before today I did not know that a windows help existed.

Kermit
kermit at polaris.net