[Tutor] Variables don't change when altered within a loop?

Evan Klitzke eklitzke at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 00:43:34 CEST 2006

Hi, I just started picking up python yesterday, and have already come
across something that has me stumped.  I want some code that does
this:

a = foo(a)
b = foo(b)
c = foo(c)

So I try to do this with a for loop, like so:

for i in [a, b, c]:
   i = foo(i)
   print i     # make sure that it worked correctly

So far, so good.  The problem is that outside the loop, the values
aren't changed.  For example,

print [a, b, c]   # outside the loop; the values never actually changed!

What is going on?  Why aren't the values of my variables changing when
I change them inside a loop like this?

-- Evan