[Tutor] abs beginner first project

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 09:01:03 CEST 2006

> Also, when I reply to a message, should I 'cc:' to tutor at python, add
> an extra 'to:' field with tutor at python, or change the original 'to:'
> field to tutor at python?
> What is the difference between 'cc:' and 'to:'?

To indicates the primary recipient, CC is a carbon copy for
information.
It follows standard (ancient) office practice of sending the original
version of a letter to the main recipient and a carbon copy
(literally)
to the other people who need to know (like your boss maybe)

So in general you will send the reply to the OP and CC to the list.
But in practice most mailers have a Reply-All button that will do
whats needed automatically!

Also a few folks don't like getting two copies if they read the list,
so they would prefer you sent the reply to the list only. As a
digest user I prefer two copies since the digest only comes in
much later. Which just shows you can't please everyone... :-)

Alan G