[Tutor] IDE - Editors - Python

Joal Heagney jhe13586 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 11 07:34:31 CET 2006

Paul Kraus wrote:
> Which editors does everyone use and why. Please keep the discussion to IDE's
> rather then any editors. I am well versed on Emacs and VI so anything beyond
> them would be appreciative. Why you like the editor and how it helps reduce
> your development time would be productive and helpfull.
>
> TIA,

Idle. Purely because I don't do much programming and all I need is a
text editor with a built in command line to test ideas and check
completed modules.

The types of things I use python for are:

- semi-quick scripts for one-off automation problems that bash scripting
can't solve,
- small programs to explore computer or math's based problems. e.g.
sorting algorithms, genetic algorithms, Fourier transforms of waves to
analyze frequency distributions (Trying to make a white/pink noise
generator and ran it's output into the computer's soundcard)
- as a handy-dandy scientific calculator when I can't be bothered
hunting down my RL scientific calculator :).

Most of these have console-argument, interactive console (raw_input) or
file-based input methods, with a text console output.

Joal Heagney