[Tutor] Raw files and jpeg thumbnail extraction

Richard Querin rfquerin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 15:52:13 CEST 2006

I am interested in extracting jpeg thumbnails that are stored in my camera's
Canon .CR2 raw files. Does anybody know of any python libraries with this
kind of functionality? Is dcraw the only way to implement this
functionality? I'm writing a simple gui to selectively process raw files
into jpegs, but I really would like to pick the photos based on thumbnails.
I read somewhere that most digital camera raw files contain jpeg thumbnails
that would be much quicker to load than doing an on-the-fly conversion just
to get the thumbnails.

Can anybody point me in a good direction on this?