[Tutor] Tutor FAQ?

Ed Singleton singletoned at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 15:38:54 CEST 2006

On 20/04/06, Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net> wrote:
> Mike Hansen wrote:
> > I'd like to send a big Thank You to Danny, Alan, Kent and others(whos names
> > escape me) for being such an asset to the Python community by relentlessly
> > answering questions on the tutor list.(Do these guys sleep? They must work
> > in shifts.) This list is one of the most civilized and responsive lists I
> > have ever read. When many pop onto the list and ask what may seem like some
> > of the most obvious questions, you guys calmly answer and nudge them in the
> > right direction without ever losing your patience. It's a great list.
>
> Thanks! I do sleep but I have my email tied in to my clock radio so
> whenever an email arrives on the tutor list I am awakened to answer it ;)
> >
> > Anyway, I've been reading the list for a couple of years now, and I wonder
> > if a Tutor FAQ would be helpful. I don't believe one exists. Should there be
> > something on the Python wiki that would list the most common questions to
> > the tutor list along with their answers? It would be a FAQ about the tutor
> > list as well as common questions to the tutor list.
>
> I wonder about this sometimes too. I think it would be good to have a
> place to collect this stuff.
>
> Maybe this could be integrated with the main Python FAQ in a beginner's
> section? Fredrik Lundh is experimenting with a FAQ wiki here:
> http://pyfaq.infogami.com/

Actually I put something about this on PyFAQ just the other day.
Fredrik was quite keen on the idea, but I've been busy the last couple
of days and haven't got around to doing anything about it.

Mike, if you're volunteering that would be perfect.  If anyone here
has ideas for questions that get asked a lot (like "How do I write a
program that prints a word backwards") then just posting them in this
thread would be a good start.

I assume Kent, Alan and Danny don't mind their answers being reused in
the wiki, but it would probably best to get explicit permission from
them (and other people) to re-use text from their answers.

Ed