[Tutor] Database Connectivity

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Tue Apr 11 21:19:40 CEST 2006

> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> > Hi ALL
> >
> > How do i connect my python program to MySQL DB or Oracle DB
> or can you
> > please specify the URL which gives a detailed explanation on this.
>
> Basic connectivity is through modules that implement the
> DB-API standard. Read the spec and find implementations here:
> http://www.python.org/doc/topics/database/
>
> There are several popular packages that layer on top of this
> basic functionality such as SQLObject and SQLAlchemy.
>
> Kent

The DB-API spec would go a long way if it had a couple of examples. Poking
around the database topics, I came across an article in Linux Journal that
seems to help http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2605

Also, the MySQLdb module has some examples
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=32071&group_id=22307#som
e-examples

The module for Postgre called psycopg has a nice PDF about the DB-API
http://initd.org/pub/software/psycopg/dbapi20programming.pdf

Mike