[Tutor] find data in html file

Andrew P grouch at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 20:15:58 CEST 2005

It's free now to use the API. You just "self-certify" and get 10,000 calls a
month.

Imac, if you use the API, let me save you some trouble. REST is useless,
SOAP is overly complicated, which leaves XML over HTTP which is really quite
nice. I am not speaking generally, but talking about the ebay
implementatiosn before anybody beats me up :)

Besides, no Python tool I could find would parse that accursed WSDL file,
making SOAP a useless layer over the exact same request as XML over HTTP.

Personally tho, I just scrape what I want, for a variety of reasons. Number
one being when the API breaks, you are screwed. If your scrape breaks, it's
usually 5 minutes to suss out and fix. And breaking happens much, much less
often than you might think. It's a little more initial (monkey) work, since
you don't have a nicely formatted XML file coming back. But the same
principles apply. You need to choose a tool to parse stuctured data.
Elementtree + PDIS Xpath, or BeautifulSoup, either way you are making a tree
and extracting data from it :)

Don't worry if none of this makes sense right now. It's a bit of a learning
curve going down either road, but they are more parallel than not. Sign up
with ebay, get your developer tokens and all that jazz, download elementree
and start making some requests, and parsing what you get back with the tool
of your choice. If that suits your purposes, it is probably the easiest way.