[Tutor] (no subject)

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Tue Sep 13 22:51:08 CEST 2005

* jon freddy <hominid767 at yahoo.com> [2005-09-13 13:37]:
> I am new to Python, about 1 day. And I downloaded from
> python.org Pythong2.4, it has the command line and
> junk. But what actuall program compiles the source of
> python into a program? Any of the programs included in
> the package? And also, is Python capable of writing an
> OS?

Hi, Jon.

Python is an interpreted language, your script is "compiled" at runtime
by the main python executable, similar to perl. Your script maintains
its textfile identity. So the simple form of running a script is:
	python myscript

It _is_ possible to create a standalone binary, though. py2exe is a
common application to build an executable with.

Python is theoretically capable of being used to write an OS, but that
is an exercise that is probably left to theory. There are a lot of good
OS'es out there that would undoubtedly perform much better than a
PythonOS ever could. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be cool, though. :-)

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com