[Tutor] IDLE will not appear under Win95 (Python 2.4.2)

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 17 06:17:39 CEST 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Dave Shea wrote:

> Python installed without a complaint. However, when I fire up IDLE,
> there is an hour glass shown for a couple of seconds, then nothing else
> happens. When I fire up Python (command line) no problem, the DOS box
> opens and Python starts. I've tried re-starting, using Explorer instead
> of the Start menu, all the usual voodoo but still the IDLE refuses to
> start.

Hi Dave,

According to:

    http://python.org/2.4.2/bugs.html

IDLE might not work well if Python has been installed into Program Files.

Do you know if you've done this?  If so, try reinstalling and just leave
the installation path at the defaults (Python should install under
"C:\PYTHON24", I think.)

IDLE has unfortunately been a bit problematic in the Python 2.4 release,
so if you continue to run into issues, I'd second Alan's suggestion about
trying Pythonwin instead.

Good luck!