[Tutor] Is it Posible? To Crack And HowTo

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 7 20:07:39 CEST 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Suranga Sarukkali wrote:

> I've heard that Python is good for hacking and when I ask how to here on
> python tutor mailing list answers were all about reading some article
> I've already read before,

[text cut]

Here, read a little more.  ESR has written an article on the kind of
"hacking" that we do here on Tutor:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

> I've got lots of software by these we call proprietary software
> developers who are some greedy people having fun licensing software.

It is not polite to call people "greedy" when you do not know who they
are.  And unfortunately, your ethics system is different from that of
professional software developers.  For a concrete example, see Section 1.5
of the ACM Code of Ethics:

    http://www.acm.org/constitution/code.html

The whole Open Source movement is based on the power of copyright law and
software licenses:

    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

so I'm not sure I'm following the implication about proprietary software
developent and licenses: the OSS folks have licenses too.