[Tutor] ftp transfer - queue & retry pattern

"Frank Hoffsümmer" captnswing at gmx.net
Thu Nov 10 15:49:22 CET 2005

Hello,
I want to write a module that transfers a given file to a given destination
with a given protocol (ftp, sftp, scp)
to start out, just ftp would be sufficient
the destination machines are sometimes unavailable, or the transfer fails
sometimes due to connection problems

I have several questions (sorry....):
	1) python ftplib or curl via commands.getoutput(...)? what are the benefits
/ drawbacks (portability is not an issue for me, and I like curl a lot)
	2) Is there a simple way to create a subprocess(?) that I can dispatch my
transfer jobs to from my main script.
	     The goal is that my main script can proceed without beeing hung by the
transfer process
	3) that subprocess would need a queue, that collects all transfer jobs. can
you give me some hints on how that could be done in python
	4) the subprocess (?) would try to transfer all jobs one after another
	     if one transfer fails, retry after a certain time period (say 2, 5,
10, 20, 40 min) and stop after maxnum retries
	    how could I code this nicely in python without resorting to if then
else etc?

or is there a module that does 1)-4) out there somewhere already?
thanks for any insight you might have
-frank