[Tutor] Testing for gui

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at freenet.co.uk
Wed Nov 9 23:07:19 CET 2005

From: Ken Stevens [mailto:kens7601 at gmail.com]
> Yes. Under Linux no x-server running? I guess it really wouldn't be
> applicable under a windows enviroment,

OK,  I see what you wanted now, ignore my previous message
.
Note that X windows is a protocol and not a GUI.
There are several GUI environments that can run
under X, not all of them requre an X server on the
local machine.

Secondly note that not all GUIs on Unix run
under X - the Mac Aqua interface is one example,
NeXT/OpenStep another, Squeak another and the
original Sun SunView and OpenLook(*) were all
non X based GUIs that are still occasionally found
today.

(*)Later versions of openLook were ported to X,
the original used display postscript as did NeXTstep.

HTH, (in a nit picking kind of way! :-)

Alan G.