[Tutor] pattern matching problem

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu May 26 21:29:43 CEST 2005

On 26 May 2005 cgw501 at york.ac.uk wrote:

> I have to write a function that will return the index of a line like this:
>
> gvcdgvcgdvagTVTVTVTVTVTHUXHYGSXUHXSU
>
> where it first becomes capital letters. I've had about a hundred
> different ideas of the best way to do this, but always seem to hit a
> fatal flaw.

Hi Chris,

It might be interesting (or amusing) to bring up one of those
fatally-flawed schemes on the Tutor list, so that we know what not to do.
*grin*

In seriousness, your ideas might not be so bad, and one of us here might
be able to point out a way to correct things and make the approach more
reasonable.  Show us what you've thought of so far, and that'll help
catalize the discussion.

> Any thoughts?

Have you looked into using a regular expression pattern matcher?  A.M.
Kuchling has written a tutorial on regular expressions here:

    http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/regex/

Would they be applicable to your program?