[Tutor] I know you will hate this but...

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Wed May 18 09:04:01 CEST 2005

Smith, Jeff <jsmith <at> medplus.com> writes:

> But there is no way to enforce standard settings.  When new versions are
> installed or someone just makes a mistake the settings might change and
> you won't know until it's too late...possibly weeks later.

Programs when updated tend to keep their settings, as they're usually written
either in the registry or in the home folder. Perhaps PythonWin is different? I
think of it as basic programmer's responsibility, but it's also possible to
write an application to check the indentation settings and modify them, while
leaving the rest alone, regardless of where they're stored.

> >But I don't think any half-decent VCS should go around modifying code
> on its
> >own in *any* way, even if it's spaces. Although, now that I think about

> Every CMS I've used modified code in some way.  CVS, RCS, VSS, Perforce,
> and Subversion support the use of keywords.  All of these tools, as well

Yes, but by using keywords (and at least for SVN telling it explicitly not to
ignore them) you instruct it to modify the code, it doesn't do so on its own.

> back together again when a specific revision is requested.  Sure you
> hope it's the same as it was in the beginning but there's always a
> chance for error.

Yep. But the fact that only the indentation changed, sounds fishy. I'd rather
expect editor settings to be at fault than the VCS. If you do find out the
cause, don't hesitate to drop another message to the list, I'm curious :).

Yours,

Andrei