[Tutor] CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler doesn't actually work, does it?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 24 20:44:44 CEST 2005

> The example code in the python online documentation calls a non-existant
> "div" function, so it was obviously a typing exercise, not actual code
> that anyone ever tested.

Hi Ron,

Ah, ok, I see.  Check the bottom of:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/simple-xmlrpc-servers.html

for a working example of that div function in the MyFuncs class.

I believe that the example you were looking at earlier, near the bottom
of:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/node556.html

has is a documentation bug: the intent is clearly to compare and contrast
SimpleXMLRPCServer and CGIXMLRPCRequestHandler, so the code should be
using the same example.  The fact that it isn't is confusing, and should
be fixed.  I'll send a bug report now.  http://python.org/sf/1227181

Try Kent's example again; XMLRPC stuff is itself not too bad.  Your two
assumptions:

    1.  It's too easy to mention, and not worth talking about
    2.  It's too hard in practice, and not worth talking about

are too black-and-white: XMLRPC itself is not bad at all, but CGI stuff
can be maddeningly difficult at first, because it involves not only Python
but also integration with an external web server.

What I think you're running into is the CGI part, the part that doesn't
debug as easily, just because error output doesn't automatically send to
the browser --- that would be a security risk! --- but instead is shuttled
off to your web server's error log file.  So take a closer look at your
web server's error logs; I wouldn't be surprised to see some Python error
messages there that should help to isolate the issue.

Best of wishes to you!