[Tutor] database app

nephish nephish at xit.net
Thu Jun 23 05:20:18 CEST 2005

Alan G wrote:

>>>going on at a time I'd consider moving the database
>>>or using snapshot technology or similar, Access locks
>>>by pages (default 2K?) which can mean a lot of data
>>>rows being locked by a single update.
>>>

>>ok, another question about this, if i use a snapshot, copy that
>>

>snapshot to
>

>>the shared folder, i should be ok, to not lock it up for that main
>>

>app
>

>>that uses this database right? the database has a .mdb extension,
>>

>ODBC
>

>>provides for that right? i have been looking but not finding out if

>>can copy the .mdb access database file to a windows XP shared
>>

>folder,
>

>>copy that into my debian linux box and manipulate the database.
>>

>I'm no expert but I don't think the file on its own will be enough.
>You need the Access engine for the ODBC driver to work - so it needs
>to be on windows.
>
>When I said snapshot I expected you to copy the data to a new Access
>database, run the web app and alongside have a synchronisation job
>running looking at the audit trails on both sides and synchronising
>every 15 minutes or so. Of course that has its own locking issues
>since Access doesn't really support that either, but maybe you could
>copy the snapshot onto MySQL or somesuch, then at least the locking
>problems are only in one direction!
>
>It might be worth checking MSDN to see if they recommend a solution.
>I know we gave up on Access for web apps but presumably others
>have grappled and found working solutions?
>
>Alan G.

ok, i have looked and looked, and i cant find a way to use an access mdb
file.
yes from windows, no from linux.
no way around it, i gotta be able to export access to a string of text
somewhere.
i think that access can export to and from excel - perhaps with the cv
module i can do something with the log file. but right now, unless my
research is bugged out, access is a no-go solution for linux.
thanks,
shawn