[Tutor] OT, Tcl & Python

Andreas Kostyrka andreas at kostyrka.org
Mon Jul 18 02:00:00 CEST 2005

Am Samstag, den 16.07.2005, 01:19 -0700 schrieb Luis N:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if someone knowledgeable of both Tcl and Python could
> suggest whether it would be a good or a bad idea to write a Python/Tk
> application, with the motive to rewrite the application in Tcl/Tk once
> completed. My reason for considering this route is that I have never
> written a single line of Tcl code nor coded a Tk application in the
> past. My motivation is the greater ease of deployment across systems
> that Tcl seems to offer, with Starkits and Starpacks,
> http://www.equi4.com/starkit.html Tcl also appears useful to learn,
> for writing scripts in tclsh, etc.

Well, Tcl isn't really a "language". Or if it is, it's so "trivial" that
it is usually explained without a BNF grammar.

tclsh is basically a shell (like /bin/sh), which has been designed to be
easily extendable with C functions. Tcl had only a string data type for
most of it's life. (Other data types like integer where added only in
the last years ;) )

Tcl is quite "cool" as a glue language, but implementing anything beyond
100-lines scripts is painful.

OTOH it's certainly a good idea to learn Tcl (and it's C API).

Andreas