[Tutor] OT python Licences

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip at lug-delhi.org
Thu Jul 14 09:28:46 CEST 2005

Don Parris wrote:

> Commercial users, or non-free users?  Remember that libre software *can* be
> distributed commercially as well.  In fact, the FSF encourages people to do
> so - it's one of the freedoms afforded by the GPL.

I agree. Libre software can be distributed commercially, as long as the
source is provided.

However, here I am talking about the freedom of choice for commercial
developers to *not* disclose the source of their programs. While it
curtails the freedom of their users, the freedom to exercise this option
is valuable to many developers.

BSD, MIT, wxpython, (I am not sure but LGPL too?) licences provide this
"freedom" (note the quote! Note the quote! :-P )

Before you snap my head off, let me clarify that by saying this I am NOT
trying to promote closed source software. :)

- Sandip

Sandip Bhattacharya  *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip at puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com  *   Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3