[Tutor] Breaking down integers?

Chad Crabtree flaxeater at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 16:41:29 CET 2005

aint=1077
list_of_aint_as_string=list(str(1077))
print list_of_aint_as_string #['1', '0', '7', '7']
#turn it into a list of integers
#doc for map() found on
http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html
list_of_aint_as_integer=map(int,list_of_aint_as_string)
print list_of_aint_as_integer #[1, 0, 7, 7]
#or
#a list comprehension tutorial found
#http://nltk.sourceforge.net/tutorial/advpython/nochunks.html#list_comprehensions
list_of_aint_as_integer=[int(x) for x in list_of_aint_as_string]
print list_of_aint_as_integer #[1, 0, 7, 7]
#now put it into one operation
broken_int=map(int,list(str(1077)))
print broken_int
def return_a_broken_int(aint):
    return [int(x) for x in list(str(1077))]
print return_a_broken_int(aint) #[1, 0, 7, 7]

Now just put what you want or understand into a function and you can
use
this.

HTH

kilovh wrote:

> I would like to be able to take an integer, break it down into
> individual items in a list, and then put them back together. I know

> how to do this last part thanks to Orri Ganel and Guillermo
Fernandex,